Tools for Business Decision Making
This item is Out of Print
Now in its Fourth Edition, Financial Accounting by Kimmel, Weygandt, and Kieso has been tested and approved in the classroom with 94% of instructors finding that it meets or exceeds their expectations. This #1 best-selling text supplies students with a practical set of tools, and the confidence to use them effectively to make business decisions. Instructors can choose to incorporate online homework with this text by selecting Wiley PLUS, a powerful online tool that provides instructors with an integrated suite of teaching and learning resources in one easy-to-use website.
Financial Accounting provides students with an understanding of fundamental concepts necessary to use accounting effectively. Starting with a “macro” view of accounting information, the authors present real financial statements. They establish how a financial statement communicates the financing, investing, and operating activities of a business to users of accounting information. Kimmel, Weygandt and Kieso motivate students by grounding the discussion in the real world, showing them the relevance of the topics covered to their future career.
Using the Decision Toolkit, the authors identify a finite set of tools necessary to make business decisions based on financial information. This toolkit is consistently re-introduced throughout the text, logically sequenced to take full advantage of the tools presented in earlier chapters, and summarized in the final chapter. This thorough integration of the use of financial statements for decision making makes this text one of the most user-oriented currently available.
Proven Pedagogical Framework helps students learn accounting concepts and apply them to decision making in the business world:
- Study Objectives are first stated at the beginning of the chapter and then re-appear in the margin at each point that the objective is discussed. The objectives are then summarized at the end of the chapter.
- Chapter-Opening Feature Stories show students how key topics of the chapter relate to the real world of business and accounting. Most end with the Internet address of the company cited in the story, encouraging students to further explore the featured business. The authors periodically refer back to Feature Stories, putting ideas back into familiar context for the student.
- Chapter-Opening Previews are charts that visually represent the chapter’s outline. Each of these chapter “road maps” establishes the chapter’s key concepts and their relationship to one another.
- Business Insight boxes relate the chapter’s concepts to actual accounting situations in real business. Four different icons identify four different points of view: Management Perspective, Ethics Perspective, Investor Perspective, and International Perspective.
- Accounting equation analyses, with cash-flow effects, appear in the margin next to key journal entries to help students understand the impact of an accounting transaction on the financial statements and cash flow.
- Before You Go On Review It/Do It questions serve as learning checks at the end of major text sections. Brief Do It exercises ask students to put their knowledge to work in some form of financial statements preparation. Action Plans outline the reasoning necessary to complete them. Solutions show how problems should be solved.
- Throughout each chapter, Decision Toolkits summarize the key features of the decision tools discussed in the prior section.
- A Using the Decision Toolkit exercise, with a solution, challenges students to use financial information from a financial statement to make a financial decision. This feature appears after the last Before You Go On section in each chapter.
- Key terms are highlighted in blue where they are first explained in the text and are listed and defined again in the Glossary at the end of the chapter.
- A Student Owner’s Manual begins the text to help students understand the value of the text’s pedagogy and how to use it. Also includes descriptions of the types of homework materials that appear at the end of the chapters.
- Annotations in Chapter 1 explain each pedagogical element of the text the first time it appears.
- End-of-chapter material, including Demonstration Problems, Self-Study Questions, Questions, Brief Exercises, Exercises, Problems, and Broadening Your Perspective sections, helps students develop a greater set of essential skills.
- Effect of transactions on cash flow is shown throughout the book as part of the marginal accounting equation graphic. This helps reinforce students’ understanding of the difference between cash effects and accrual accounting.
- Interpreting Financial Statements problems in the Broadening Your Perspective section give students practice in analyzing ratios.
New to This Edition:
- New pedagogical feature: Accounting Across the Organization” places accounting issues within the context of marketing, management, IT, and finance so students can readily see the relevance of accounting to their major. Related homework material illustrates how essential accounting knowledge is to all types of managers.
- Many of the presentations have been streamlined and made more concise for increased clarity and to allow students and instructors to more efficiently cover the material.
- New Comprehensive Problems (Chapters 5-13) . This new type of problem combines material of the current chapter with previous chapters so that students understand how “it all fits together.” Each of these problems requires the recording of transaction and adjusting entries, and culminates in the preparation of financial statements. A great way to reinforce the accounting cycle each week!
- New Continuing Cookie Chronicle problem. This new problem traces the growth of an entrepreneurial venture. Each week students apply their newly acquired accounting skills to solve the financial reporting issues faced by this small business. In so doing the students see how important accounting is for business managers.
- Major updating and revising of the Test Bank and Computerized Test Bank Over 600 new multiple-choice questions are included in this edition of the Test Bank. A new section of brief exercises is also included. Existing true/false multiple-choice, exercises, completion, and essay questions are also updated. Each problem is classified by text study objective. New to this edition is the classification of problems by Bloom's Taxonomy.
- End-of-chapter Material has been refined and expanded to increasingly reflect the needs of today’s business students. An increased number of analytical problems increase students’ abilities to make sound business decisions. More difficult problems have been added to challenge students’ problems solving skills.
- Additional content on Sarbanes-Oxley and Corporate Governance has been updated and expanded.
- Questions have been added to Business Insight boxes (with answers at back of Broadening Your Perspective section) to test students understanding.
- New Problem Set C (available on website) To further expand the homework options available to the instructor, a third set of problems, which parallel Problem Sets A and B is provided on the web.
- Wiley PLUS Use of technology has been increased through integration of Wiley Plus throughout the text and with the instructor and student supplements. Pedagogy and End-of-chapter material available in Wiley Plus is clearly labeled using the Wiley PLUS icon. More interactive problem material has been added to Wiley PLUS. For instructors and students’ convenience, many more ancillaries are now available in Wiley Plus including FMN videos, Excel Workbook, GLS, and the Take Action! CD.
- A new fresh design is inviting to students and supports the integration of all the pedagogical features as well as the technology.
Student Companion Site
The Student Companion Site gives students access to the rich tools and resources available for this text.
With WileyPLUS, students achieve concept mastery in a rich structured environment that’s available 24/7. WileyPLUS includes the entire digital textbook plus interactive learning resources, immediate feedback on assignments, a gradebook to track progress, and more.
Peachtree Complete Accounting CD and Workbook
This workbook teaches you how to effectively use Peachtree Software, an accounting ledger software. An educational version of the software is available with the workbook.
Take Action! CD
Voice-guided, interactive reviews of important concepts in each chapter of the text. Interactive quizzing with grading also provides students with helpful feedback regarding answers.
The working papers are printed templates that can help you correctly format your accounting solutions. Working paper templates are available for all end-of-chapter brief exercises, exercises, and problems.
General Ledger Software CD
General ledger software saves students time by allowing them to solve select end-of-chapter text problems using accounting ledger software. GLS demonstrates the immediate effects of journal transactions and allows students to generate financial statements. Also available in a premium version of WileyPLUS.
The student workbook contains chapter overviews, reviews of specific study objectives, as well as multiple-choice and matching problems. Additional problems and Annual Report analysis problems are also included.
Excel Working Papers CD
The files on this CD are Excel templates for all end-of-chapter exercises, problems, and cases. The Excel working papers provide you with the option of printing forms and completing them manually, or entering data electronically and then printing a completed form. By entering data electronically, you can now paste homework to a new file and e-mail the worksheet to your instructor.
Instructor Companion Site
The Instructor Companion Site provides instructors with the rich tools and resources available for this text.
With WileyPLUS, instructors personalize and manage their course more effectively with assessment, assignments, grade tracking and more. WileyPLUS’ unparallel service offerings provide all the help, resources, and personal support you and your students need.
Instructor's Resource CD
The IRCD contains electronic copy of all instructor supplements.
Features detailed solutions to brief exercises, exercises, problems, and cases in the textbook. The solutions transparencies feature large, bold type.
Checklist of Key Figures
This list of numbers allows students to verify the accuracy of their answers as they work through the assignments. (Also available on IRCD)
Over 500 new multiple-choice questions are included in this edition of the Test Bank. A new section of brief exercises is also included. Existing true/false multiple-choice, exercises, completion, and essay questions are also updated. Each problem is classified by text study objective. New to this edition is the classification of problems by Bloom's Taxonomy. (Also available online and on IRCD.)
Contains detailed solutions to all exercises and problem material in the textbook, including suggested answers to questions and cases. Each chapter includes an assignment classification table. (Available online and on IRCD.)
A Blackboard course cartridge is available with this title. Blackboard course cartridges contain book-specific content purposely designed for use in Blackboard's easy-to-use software.
A WebCT e-Pack is available with this title. Wiley e-Packs contain fully customizable course materials specifically designed for use with WebCT's software.